Monday, January 10, 2011

Meridian jc


Meridian jc These social pressures come from multiple angles – from parents who want their children to be doctors, lawyers, bankers or scholars. From the government, which places pressures on teachers to churn out A grades from their students. And from their peers, where everybody is competing to outperform and outscore their fellow students in order to emerge at the top of this rat race, which begins the moment a 7 year old child steps into primary school, and only ends when the child has ended his or her working career (now pegged at 65 years, according to the PAP system) These immense pressures have a huge psychological and human cost on Singapore’s young people, most of whom were never designed to take some pressures. Indeed, how is it possible for every person to be a lawyer, doctor, banker, or schola.

My class was well hated by other classes of the cohort for being not participative, etc, but within the class most of us recognised the unique culture and bonding within the class that cannot be easily described nor overwhelmed by the supposed on-the-surface enthusiasm from other classes, and throughout the years, I made a few very close friends that I could tune into like the radio because we knew exactly each other's frequency.

I had amazing teachers too. In this supposed pretty-good-but-not-quite-there neighbourhood school in Tampines, I had a few so-much-better teachers than I am sure can even beat elite Secondary School teachers hands down, paving my way in the dire circumstances (our school's students on average used to be qualified for JC) to enter Meridian Junior College. To date, my Secondary School is still nothing to be proud of, but I love it. It contained some of the most beautiful memories of my life, it gave me some of the most amazing people I've ever met and that I treasure.
Share/Bookmark